Friday, March 27, 2009

Jerantut...............Terkentut

Jerantut….also got earthquake ke?......

Anyway folks let me share with you some of my real-life experiences of living in the ring of fire…the first time was in August 2007

09/Aug/2007
earlier at 9pm i sent my beloved ones to KL.......got home felt the sense of void engulfing....
got on straight to work....better occupy my mind fast.....

then it came.....i felt a nudge....the feeling of nak muntah...woooo......then the big one came, i stood up shouted to my maid "Mbak !!!!! GEMPA!!!!!".....went straight under the dining table.... both of us ....reciting the shahadah..

it was long.....it was damn long..............normal earthquake last about a minute...this one went for 3 to 4 minutes at least.......a lot of lateral movements......cracking sounds......

then it stopped....alhamdulllilah

"Mbak!!!!! get dressed , get ur phone , get ur id ...n lets get out of here....!!!!!!"

packed my laptop, got fags, got wallet, got passport....mmm which shoe or slipper should i wear...
bloody hell dude....just get wat ever is there la.....

Mbak where's my "ACG = All condition gear"sandals....shit i cant believe i just asked her that...

"basuh encik!!!!".... oh f***K..........got to go down in style ma.....so selipar jepun it is....

called the lobby......pak ...gempa ya...duh

......lift aman ngak?

......aman

Ok lets go .......got to pee first just in case.......

Encik...siap!!!!!! Sat le......got to do my biz.....

Ting ...lift opens..no-one inside....then as we go down ... each floor the lift opens scared faces of families in their nighties.....come in i said.....quick....we packed the lift to the max.....

reached the lobby that was a bloody long journey from 24th floor.......let everybody out.....(felt like hero kecil kecilan kampung style)..........

Everybody looked confused....scared.......i looked across the sea of faces.....looking for someone familiar......ah..... Wife's lil gang.... .....helloooww....everybody ok......kids fine.....ok done .....

Called my wife's phone..no answer...called my bro in law....ok got it ...."sayang thank god u n the kids are in KL we just had an earthquake dont worry we're safe here"....all in one breath...and it felt so so good cause my loved ones did not have to go through it........

So now what ...can go in or not ....all siting outside ....
man people sleep in funny funky stuff.....nasib baik gua pakai khaki, tshirt , backpack and all...la...

one guy even came down with a golf bag.......well all of us have different priorities in life i guess

called a couple of people in JKT....tried to get info.....7.5 richter.....woo thats big.....

oklah gonna go up now....40 mins already outside.....

"Mbak....saya mau naik....kamu gimana...?"

"HP ada?....ok kalau udah rasa mau naik naik...."

Got up to the apartment ....check out local news and all...CNN .....no tsunami warnings.....

The second time it happened to me was on Wed 12/Sept/07 18.03 HRS..........tat same feeling hit me again.......3rd floor of my office building....water in my glass starts doing the yoyo.........

speed dail 2 - sayang..........no answer....again n again..

then finally she answered....." we're on the way down...call u back!!!!!"....."all OK" i asked...a quick yes and she was gone......

Got out of my room.....saw some people running....."pak!!! Gempa ya....." ......ok ...mmm....better do my magrib.......after prayers went back to work ...need to finalise some presentation.....guess after going through one in august...u kinda know ...or have the feeling if the building in going to go or not...

Rule No 1. Do not Panic , try to get out in open area away from building once the quake stops.......well where I'm at that's not gonna work ....buildings everywhere.....wonder if i have time to dodge falling buildings....

My wife took the kids down 24 floors via the fire escape while the quake was still on....when i got back i asked her why she didn't take the lift..........(like what i did before....) duh ... kena bantai gile .......ceramah about its not safe to take the lift during emergency.....well i cant say much on that .....

When i got back home...i could see how shaken she was......i tried my best to comfort her but kept getting my foot in the mouth disease .......keluar semua physics theory about earthquake and under what conditions building can collapse .....she just looked at me with her trade mark where r u going with this one.....r u trying to dig another hole or is the hole ur in getting deeper........in the end i just said ... don't worry..we'll be fine.....and we're moving to 30th floor in October........

Couple of months back I came across a gentlemen from the National Emergency dept, they’ve just finished a survey on the risk of earthquakes in Central jakarta….he asked me where I lived…I said…Kuningan…..he said…..about 400 years ago it was an epicenter according to latest findings….GULP….GULP………should I move?

So far so good......but each time i go to sleep these days......i always think of the fact that suddenly everything could just crumble..........will i have time to save my wife n kids......I pray to Allah SWT that i do not have to go through that....

ameen...
Minds are like parachutes; they work best when open. -Lord Thomas Dewer